Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

4,6, and 10

I am planning on entering another cake competition this year, but this time I am entering the wedding cake part along with the tasting(again). This cake was a practice run for two recipes and decorating. I tried a Swiss White Chocolate cake recipe, for the second time I might add, and it helped me to finalize the fact that white chocolate has no flavor. The crumb of this recipe is unsightly also....see below. Give me some bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate in cooking and it's excitement, give me white chocolate and I wonder, WHY?!

I'm sure there are recipes out there that have white chocolate that are fantastic, maybe. Anyways, the other cake was Martha Stewart's Buttermilk Blackberry cake and since I had made some berry slick'em, which is like a blackberry syrup, I stirred some in the batter and spread the rest between the cake layers. I cut this recipe in thirds because I didn't need 18 cups, and it was enough for a 10" round.

The frosting was Elisa Strauss' Swiss Meringue Buttercream from her Confetti Cakes book. The fondant was marshmallow fondant and the flowers were real.

Thanks for looking.




1 comment:

SweetThingsTO said...

yum... so who's the lucky people that get to taste test your lovely 3-tier practice cakes!